Kent Social Services
Kent Social Servies (KSS) is dedicated to enhancing the nutrition of low-income people in the Kent area. Hot meals are offered at no cost five days a week and typically include 50 to 60 individuals per day. Opportunities for socialization, cooking classes and referral services are also offered.
The Lord’s Pantry provides two bags of groceries to income-eligible households per month. Over 1,200 low-income Kent households are enrolled. Groceries, diapers and personal care products are also provided in emergency situations. Additionally, holiday food is offered at Thanksgiving and Christmas. Toys are distributed to over 600 children at Christmas.
KSS has no permanent source of funding and relies on the generosity of the community, in the form of monetary contributions and volunteer time.
Hot lunches are served to anyone hungry from 11:30am – 12:15pm, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday and an early dinner is served Thursday from 4:30-5:15pm. There is no fee.
Groceries are available monthly through the Lord’s Pantry. There is no fee, but the Dept. of Agriculture poses income eligibility limits. Pantry hours correspond to the open hours above, but require an appointment to be made in advance for a specific time.
We would like to extend a big thank you to Karl Waller, the new owner of Kent’s Domino’s Pizza on S. Water Street. He announced that the Domino’s team is dedicated and excited to serve the Kent area. Waller has committed to donating a portion of the store’s profits in 2012 to Kent Social Services. Thank you Karl Waller and the Kent Domino’s Pizza! (Record Courier Article)
How can you help?
Food: non-perishables, especially peanut butter, tuna, cereal, canned food, etc.
Gift cards: Acme or Giant Eagle at $10.00 increments.
Monetary Donations: which allow us to apply it to the greatest need. 30% of our food is contributed by the community, the remaining 70% involves purchases at the regional food bank where the equivalent of $4.00 in retail food can be purchased for every $1.00 donated.
Holiday Toys: new toys for all ages under 18 or $20 WalMart or Target gift cards.
1066 S. Water St.
Kent, OH 44240
Mon – Wed, Fri 9 am – 3pm
Thurs 10:30 am – 5:30pm