Big Brothers & Sisters of Portage County
Big Brothers Big Sisters recruits volunteers (Bigs) to be matched with children (Littles) in one-to-one mentoring relationships. The relationships are fun for both Bigs and Littles; fulfilling for the Bigs; and make a life-changing impact in the lives of the Littles. Bigs and Littles share activities that both enjoy – playing sports, going on a hike, visiting the library, cooking dinner. Or sometimes a Big just shares some advice and inspiration.
There is no cost to participate and no income guidelines. Children must be 6 – 17 years old and live in Portage County. Volunteers must be at least 18 and able to make a one year commitment for 12 hours per month.
An online Harris Interactive survey of alumni Little Brothers and Little Sisters founds that:
- 77% reported doing better in school because of their Big.
- 65% agreed their Big helped them reach a higher level of education than they thought possible.
- 52% agreed their Big kept them from dropping out of high school.
*There is no cost for our program and there are no income guidelines for participation
- Bowl for Kids’ Sake – fundraiser held annually, usually in December
- Golf Outing – fundraiser held annually, the 4th Wednesday in July
- Volunteer Appreciation/holiday dinner – event for matches held the first weekend of December
- Various smaller fundraisers and match activities held throughout the year
Parent Inquiry Form
Please fill out the form below to receive information about signing your child up as a Little Brother or Little Sister.
Volunteer Inquiry form
Please fill out the form below to receive information about volunteering as a Big Brother or Big Sister.
705 Oakwood St., suite 115
Ravenna, OH 44266
M-F 9:00 – 3:00*
*evenings by appointment